Flag Counter

free counters................................................mindtheliverpool

Friday 26 August 2011

The Language of Liverpool

Liverpool is one of the few places in England that has had songs written about it. Lots of American towns and cities feature in songs, but not English ones, possibly because nobody can think of a word that rhymes with Bishop's Stortford. 

Liverpool songs include: 'Ferry Cross the Mersey', 'Penny Lane', 'Strawberry Fields Forever', 'Maggie Mae', 'The Leaving of Liverpool', 'Liverpool Lullaby' and 'In My Liverpool Home'. Here are some of the words to 'In My Liverpool Home':






I was born in Liverpool, down by the Docks 
 My religion was Catholic, occupation hard knocks 
 At stealing from lorries, I was adept 
 While under old overcoats, each night we slept

(Chorus)
In my Liverpool home, in my Liverpool home 
 We speak with an accent exceedingly r-a-r-e 
 Meet under a statue exceedingly b-a-r-e4
 If you want a cathedral, we've got one to s-p-a-r-e 
 In my Liverpool home. (la-di-da) 
Now when I grew up, I met Bridget McCann 
 She said, 'You're not much, but I'm needing a man 
 Coz I want 15 kids and a house out in Speke' 
 The spirit was willing, but the flesh it was weak

(Repeat Chorus)

Way back in the Forties, the world it went mad 
 Mr Hitler threw at us everything that he had 
 When the smoke and the dust had all cleared from the air 
 'Thank God', said an old man, 'the Pier Head's still there' 





(Repeat chorus – until you're all too drunk to remember the words)

No comments:

Post a Comment