Flag Counter

free counters................................................mindtheliverpool

Saturday 1 September 2012

100 HEADS THINKING AS ONE













Mr Brown added: "I love the old and the new. There is only one Liver building, it was created by craftsmen when money was no object - you can't compete with buildings like that.

"It is beautiful down here now. When you stand opposite the Neptune building you see the Port of Liverpool reflected back at you. The windows make it look like a jigsaw.

"I like the way the skyline has changed. It reminds me of a grander city, a faster city - like New York."

.................. "I love Liverpool and I love the swagger about the city but sometimes negativity can be crushing.

"We are neighbours with Open Eye gallery, opposite the museum - it is an exciting place to be."

Mr Brown moved out of his studio in Hanover Street in the city centre in 2007 to make way for the Liverpool One development. He relocated to Kirkdale and Wirral before returning to Liverpool this week.

He said: "The river is a strong focal point for any Scouser. The river, the openness. Its starting to bustle again down here and I want to capture that.

"I like being on the move, it keeps you creative but now I'm surrounded by inspirational buildings - I feel like I've come home."

Mr Brown will be working in an "open studio" in a unused shop and he said visitors are welcome to come and see him at work and share their memories to be included in the piece.

He said: "I wanted to paint a picture of the new buildings on the waterfront along with the history of what was there before.

"The docks, the workers, the overhead railway - anything that archives this spot is what I want to use in this picture.

"I remember as a kid coming down here and it was a bus depot and it was manic and then it seemed to go quiet and nothing was here for 20 odd years. Now that is changing."

The display also includes the 100 Heads series which Mr Brown created during Liverpool's Capital of Culture year in 2008 to celebrate the people of the city.