Flag Counter

free counters................................................mindtheliverpool

Thursday 23 May 2013

Day 4, Skye

At 1,656 square kilometres (639 sq mi), Skye is the second-largest island in Scotland after Lewis and Harris. The coastline of Skye is a series of peninsulas and bays radiating out from a centre dominated by the Cuillin hills (Gaelic:An Cuiltheann). Malcolm Slesser suggested that its shape "sticks out of the west coast of northern Scotland like a lobster's claw ready to snap at the fish bone of Harris and Lewis" and W. H. Murray, commenting on its irregular coastline, stated that "Skye is sixty miles long, but what might be its breadth is beyond the ingenuity of man to state".


Having done the other lines, this is certainly the one, that does the sea and mountains of Scotland best. There are some truly stunning views.





TATE ;)







The weather could have been better, but the view were great.



The scenery was stunning with one mountain after another. The whole trip was one eye opening sight after another.The young lady selling the certificates to raise money to rebuild a signal box was so knowledgeable and a pleasure to listen to.






Poems Of Skye

A Summer in Skye In 1864 Alexander Smith, poet and essayist, spent six weeks on the island of Skye. Inspired by his stay, this prose poem celebrates his life, the life around him and the history and nature of the island.







Sonja Nic Rafferty 
Germany 
2005 

 Once again I walked on Scotland’s hills and glens 
The magic of my ancestors’ myths pulls me like no other land 
Now being back in the country of my birth nothing left than to pen 
Still feeling the sand of a white beach in my hand 
I took the Highland bus to Inverness and then to Portree 
The Isle of Skye touched every corner of my Celtic heart 
For I spotted a breathtaking landscape in front of me 
My soul was ripped into pieces because I didn’t want to depart 
So I greet you from across the mighty deep ocean 
How I miss the seagulls cry high above the bay 
When I will hear it again I haven’t the faintest notion 
Oh, I trust my innermost feelings never ever betray 
Magical Isle of Skye please invite me again next summer 
At the end of your rainbow must be a wonderland 
Rescue me from always being the sad latecomer 
I just have to come back and discover more of my fatherland 
In the moment I only can paint pictures of my memories 
Of the sunset on the Isle of Skye and the dark blue sea 
Teach me more about the Scottish history of past centuries 
Today I cannot imagine another isle where I would prefer to be